Fibro Feelings – A Night of Pain

What is Fibro Feelings?

I’m still working on beating my cold, but luckily I’ve continued in the right direction. I’m still coughing a bit and going through lots of tissues, but both are in lesser amounts than a week ago at this time. I was able to make it to both my friends’ events last weekend. I was nervous that I might not be able to since my body got pretty mad at me for running errands last Thursday. I ran 5 quick errands and felt decently, but a few hours later I got a horrid headache (8/9 on the pain scale). An hour after that my hip/leg started KILLING me. I’m assuming it was related to my bursitis, but it was odd that my pain in that area went from a 4/5 pain level to a 9 in a flash.

The hip/leg pain combined with the headache as well as being sick was just more than I could handle. I was on the way to wash my face and brush my teeth before bed, but only made it to my bed. The thought of standing in a room with lights and the thunder of running water beat me. I laid down on the bed for a few minutes and began to cry. I was so worried that I’d unknowingly done something to completely regress any of the progress that my hip/leg had made and was in so much pain. Five to ten minutes later, The Helpful Hubby heard me from another area in the house. He came to check on me and got me a pain killer for my leg/hip, turned off the light and an ice pack and a hand towel for my head. He hugely helped me out by massaging the area of my leg where the pain was pushing me over the edge. That was able to ease the pain just enough for me to get it back to where I could slightly manage. I was able to finishing preparing for bed and then I crashed with an ice pack on my head.

Luckily, the next morning I woke up feeling much better. I was able to handle the two and a half hours of driving needed to get to and from my friend’s event that evening and make it to another friend’s gathering the next day! The weekend turned out to be very celebratory and fun!

What helps you when you’re crying in pain?

Crying Giant Sculpture by Tom Otterness

What I felt like!*

*Image Credit: from www.flickr.com by goatling

Comments

Comment from Lynda M O
Time March 8, 2012 at 6:20 pm

When I am crying in pain the most helpful thing I can do is go to bed, pull the blanket up over my head and purposefully relax, tighten, relax each muscle group from toes to crown of head. Breathing mindfully in nose and out mouth calms my cardio and allows me to continue relaxing.

Thanks for your blog and for sharing what you know and do with us.

For some reason I typically remember to try purposely relaxing when I have IBS pain, but often forget when other pains get extreme. Thanks for the reminder, Lynda!

Comment from Elaine Bondra
Time March 8, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Pain med helps of course; but when the pain is beyond the help of the pills, I do something, anything to divert my mind. TV, reading, Twitter, or strangely enough, game after game of Solitaire on my phone. It calms me & diverts my mind with, I think, a sort of mesmerizing effect. Try it sometime.

Elaine, that is what I do to prevent myself from having to take a pain killer when I have pain at a level 5-7. It works well for me then. I’m glad you’re able to take advantage of those techniques where you’re pain is extreme too.

Comment from Buddhacanvas
Time March 9, 2012 at 12:21 am

I agree with trying to purposefully calm down, it may not slow the pain, but it helps keep my head above water.
Sometimes allowing myself to cryer really helps. I may not be sobbing and balling, but just the act of allowing tears to run down my cheeks as I watch a silly movie seems to keep me from fighting and prolonging the pain. It’s hard to articulate

Sounds similar to how I was crying…nothing crazy, just tears continually falling down my face. I had been able to hold it together for the hour before, but finally I had just been worn down.

Comment from Debbie
Time March 9, 2012 at 3:54 am

I live with Fibromyalgia chronic pains. Everyday for me is a real hazel, but I try to keep on positive by fixing up myself when I can. When the pain is to much I just lie down with soft music, and try to relax. The pains might not go all away but it makes it better.

Ya, it isn’t ever about being pain free, it is just about being in lesser, more manageable amounts of pain.

Comment from karen
Time March 9, 2012 at 9:10 am

I’m kind of in that situation today – but I’m at work! I am having killer muscle spasms in my back that the vicodin is just barely keeping under control. Normally I would lie down in my PJ’s on a heating pad and relax, deep breathing, but being here I can’t really do that. On my lunch I plan to go home, eat, and lie down on the heating pad for about a half hour and breathe. Being at work does have the advantage of keeping my mind busy but I so want to go home and rest!
karen recently posted: Fibro Friday! – Sensory Overload

Comment from Felicia Fibro
Time March 9, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Sorry to hear that you’re feeling similarly today, Karen! =( I’m glad you’re able to go home during lunch at least. I hope that is able to get you just enough of a boost that you need until you can come home at night, for good.

Comment from Jaynie
Time March 11, 2012 at 8:36 am

Just found your blog. While it is good that you have found a supportive community, etc., I fail to see how focusing primarily on your fibro is going to help. I was diagnosed with fibro in 1997, and up until I had a spinal injury in 2005, I worked, showed dogs, and basically had a life. Yes, sometimes I hurt. BAD. And that was before lyrica and savella – the only thing I had was naprosyn and exercise.

It’s sad that so many people are so dramatic over a diagnosis of fibromyalgia. I suffered a serious spinal injury in 2005, and was diagnosed with rheumatoid autoimmune disease in 2007. The pain? No comparison.

A diagnosis of fibro in no way disables you. Yes, it hurts, and pain is a very subjective thing – I can’t quantify your pain, and you can’t quantify mine. But I was able to work up to the point of my spinal injury, show dogs in agility, obedience, and herding, and do just about anything I wanted. I can’t do that any more.

Too many fibro patients don’t do enough to help themselves. Losing weight (I lost over 200 pounds after diagnosis), stretching, not sitting for longer than 20 minutes, and keeping active are among the very best treatments for fibromyalgia. And then, if you need them, there are lyrica and other medications. There is an undeniable mental factor in all this. It’s easier some days to just give up, lie in bed, and cry. But you know what lying in bed does? It makes you WORSE.

My dogs have been the best treatment for me. They force me to get up and get moving and focus me on what I CAN do rather than what I CANNOT.

Chronic pain is real and I’m not trying to denigrate anyone’s pain. I’ve been in that boat myself, where no one believed my pain. It’s not a pretty place to be.

I guess I’ve been burned by the two-year wait I’ve had to go through in order to get disability (and I still don’t have it). I’ve met so many people who “only” have fibro, yet have been on disability for YEARS. People, I’m in a WHEELCHAIR!!! I cannot walk unassisted!

Fibromyalgia effects different people, different ways in varying degrees. For some this means they are disabled. Because of this treatments that work well for one person, may not work well for others. This ties into why so much scientific research is being done to identify subgroups.

I’m not sure if you’re read most of the posts on my site, but I strive to spread awareness by sharing information and staying positive. My Fibro Feelings posts delve more into the personal feelings of my life, where as my Monday posts are informative and less personal. It is rare for me to lay crying in bed, but I do not think it is unusual for someone in a level 9 pain, who is sick with a cold, has a horrid headache/migraine for hours and is having terrible pain from bursitis for hours to shed a few tears. In fact, many would be in ER with level 9 pain for hours. I want to be authentic to my readers and even though that means usually sharing optimistic/happy posts, I also share when I’ve struggled. As you read, the positive side of my post was despite how bad things were that night, I was still able to go my friends’ events that weekend.

I agree that pets are wonderful additions to have in the family. I have a cat and previously had a dog for 13 years. They are great to bond with and to help us focus on something/somebody else.

Thanks for sharing what has worked for you. I hope you’re able to get the disability assistance you need soon. Good luck!