Easy Meals – Fruity Trifle
This light dessert is great for those who don’t like desserts that are too sweet or are trying to eat healthier. The Helpful Hubby loves it and I’ve served it many times to guests. It is easy to make, which is a HUGE plus for me!
- 1 large box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3 cups cold milk
- 2-3 bananas, sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1 small package fresh blueberries
- 1 (9 inch) angel food cake, cut in cubes
- 1 large tub cool-whip, thawed
- Prepare pudding with milk according to package directions.
- In a trifle bowl or other glass serving dish, layer half the cake pieces, half the pudding, half the bananas, half the berries and half the whipped topping.
- Repeat layers. Cover and chill in refrigerator 4 hours before serving.
Depending on the size of your trifle bowl, you may not have room to use all of the angel food cake cubes. My bowl only fits ~2/3rds of the cake. The reason the recipes has you chill the trifle is so the flavors have some time to meld together. The Helpful Hubby likes it best after 24 hours – by then the angel food cake is completely soaked with pudding and juices.
There are a few options with this recipe, so I’d like to share that using skim milk for the pudding works fine. I tried using frozen blueberries once and the texture of the blueberries seemed odd, so I’d suggest sticking with fresh ones. The reason the recipe uses frozen strawberries is so that there are some strawberry juices. If you can’t find a large tub of cool whip, the recipe uses ~1.5 small tubs.
You might also be interested in some of these other, Easy Meals! What are some of your favorite, easy meals?