Fibro Feelings – Aftermath of the Sprain

What is Fibro Feelings?

I’ve had ankle sprains before, but none have come close to hurting as badly as this one did for the first 32 hours. I could bear weight on my ankle, but just barely and only if I was walking straight forward. Showering was very difficult because I had to step over a ledge to walk into the shower and because turning around in the shower had to be done in a turn, not walking straight forward. I was also trying to keep my hand wound from getting too wet, so I wore a latex glove. The 1.5 foot shower grip bar got tons of use as I avoided putting weight on my ankle!

My entire body reacted to my fall. I’ve been having small muscle spasms all through out my body, my left elbow hurt for 11+ days, my upper back and shoulders hurt very badly for two days, my hip joints and knees were stiff and I felt extremely fatigued for six days! I’m wondering if the fatigue was from my body trying to heal or just from my fibromyalgia having a small flare-up. Surprisingly my wrists (which my right one was sore prior to the fall) only hurt slightly worse for a day or two. Thank goodness for that!

I was happily surprised at how much impact having my ankle wrapped within 10 minutes of spraining it had. I was swollen, but not as much as I’d expect and I’m barely bruised at all! Well, keeping it elevated probably also helped that some. Three days after I fell I started sometimes walking when I wanted to, instead of only when I needed to. Ten days later I was able to start walking without a limp! I was grateful that I’d just finished cleaning the house two days before I fell and I’d shaved my legs and washed a sink full of dishes the morning I fell. Knowing I’d accomplished those things made it easier, mentally, to handle not being able to do the other things I’d planned to do after my doctor’s appointment. Originally I’d planned on hanging up Arthritis Walk posters, filling my car with gas, picking up an Arthritis Walk door prize donation and cooking dinner.

Have you ever experienced extreme fatigue after an injury?

sleeping dog

I wish I was this cute when I'm feeling fatigued!*

*Image Credit: from www.flickr.com by JoyTek

Comments

Comment from Lyssa
Time May 19, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Hi. I have Lupus and a few other autoimmune issues & it always takes my body so much longer to heal. Plus I usually get a flare up because of the trauma. I hope your ankle continues to do well!

Oh the joys of having a sensitive body, huh?! Thanks for the well wishes!

Comment from Tammy
Time May 20, 2011 at 9:23 am

Hello :) I was just diagnosed with fibro a month ago. Had it for a very long time but never this bad, (another PCOS perk) guess that’s why the rheumatologist could put a name on it now because I have “real” pain now.
Yes, looking back now when I suffered a fall or what not, it either caused a flare or a longer healing time.
I just recently found your blog and would like to say thank you for writing about fibro and all that goes with it.
Feel better and best wishes to you :)
Tammy recently posted: If you like wool

You’re quite welcome, Tammy. Welcome to my website. I’m assuming you’re happy to now have a name to put with the symptoms you’ve been having? I know I was relieved to know what it was when I was diagnosed. Thank you for the well wishes!

Comment from Hayley Cafarella
Time May 20, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I am sorry to read about your difficulty following this fall! I had an accident last week that left my whole right side feeling like it was being tortured by a voodoo doll. Yesterday I had a one on one Feldenkrais session that helped to alleviate a lot of the pain. Today I am still sore, but less so and completely exhausted. I understand that the fatigue is caused by the body’s tension response to the pain of a new injury. The associated muscle spasms and such all use up energy and, as sensitive creatures, we don’t have a whole lot of energy in reserve. My plan is a hot bath and a lot of rest. I hope that you feel much better soon! x
Hayley Cafarella recently posted: The Little Accident That Wore My Name

Sorry to hear you’ve been feeling lots of pain too, Hayley! Hopefully you continue to feel better. Thanks for the insight into the post-injury fatigue!

Comment from Paul
Time June 24, 2011 at 1:49 pm

How is your ankle now? Does it still have any swelling or weakness. You should do some ankle exercises to make sure that you don’t sprain it again. Weak ankles tend to get re-injured more often. Best of luck!

My ankle is good – I actually just posted a progress report yesterday. You can check it out here: http://feliciafibro.com/2011/06/23/fibro-feelings-progress-report/ I did the A-Z with your toe ROM exercises while it was healing.