National Fibromyalgia Awareness Day

Happy National Fibromyalgia Awareness Day! I consider this day a holiday of sorts and excitedly anticipate it annually! I’ve been celebrating it since at least 2008 and possibly the few years before it. Having my Sombra Gel giveaway helped get me (and hopefully you too!) amped up even earlier this year.

Fibromyalgia Awareness Day is important because the more awareness there is, the more public understanding there will be. The more overall understanding there is, the more people will demand that further research is done so that better treatment options are available. If better treatment options are created that will mean that more of the etiology of fibromyalgia and how the body is effected is understood by doctors. I know, in my heart, that one day that will happen!

One of the easiest ways to participate in National Fibromyalgia Awareness Day is to wear the color purple (clothing or a ribbon) on May 12th! It is one of the colors that stands for fibromyalgia and also for chronic pain. That is actually one of the reasons that I chose purple to be the main color scheme for my website. Besides wearing purple yourself, try to get your friends, family and co-workers to wear purple and spread the awareness.

There are many ways to get involved and be an activist for fibromyalgia. Having a specific day to raise awareness makes it even easier, in my opinion. I know that by celebrating a nationally recognized day, I’ve felt more empowered to email my friends and family with general information about fibromyalgia. There are many ways to be involved through social media, like posting Facebook statuses, sending Facebook messages, tweeting about it, changing your avatar picture to a ribbon and creating a or RSVPing to a Facebook event. If you blog, consider coming together with other bloggers at Bloggers Unite. If there isn’t a local Fibromyalgia Awareness Day event in your area, maybe you’ll want to organize one for next year. Another way to increase awareness is to call into and email radio stations and email or mail letters/press releases to local newspapers and TV stations. Throughout the years I’ve done many of these things.

How are you celebrating National Fibromyalgia Awareness Day this year?

This post was included in Chronic Babe Blog Carnival #29.

You may also be interested in reading:
National Fibromyalgia Awareness Day History

purple awareness ribbon

My ever-ready fibromyalgia awareness ribbon

Comments

Comment from Lauren Elyse
Time May 12, 2011 at 6:41 am

I’m not wearing purple because unless someone asked why, it doesn’t actually help raise awareness. Instead, I am adding blogs like yours to my Favorite Places blogroll. Hopefully that will help keep information flowing year round. I think your blog does a great job helping to spread the word in a positive way. Keep it up!

Thank you for the kind words, Lauren! I agree, fibromyalgia awareness is really a 365-day a year effort! *cheers*

Comment from Maranda
Time May 12, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I don’t usually tell too many people I have fibro, but I shared my experiences today on my blog. I gave a quick overview of fibro and some tips for supporting someone with it; i hope some people learned something today!

I think that is great that you opened up and shared a personal part of yourself with your readers! I bet someone’s life will be better because of it!

Comment from Emily Ruth
Time May 12, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Fantastic ideas/suggestions for raising awareness! I love that you get excited about it, people like you being passionate about raising awareness makes a huge difference and brings us closer to finding a cure one day – thanks for sharing and blogging! You are a great help and inspiration to those of us with fibromyalgia.

I do get excited – so much so that I had insomnia last night. haha! Thank you for the super kind compliments and for sharing your struggles with fibromyalgia in your Awareness Day blog post!

Comment from sarah
Time March 19, 2012 at 11:23 am

Hi Felicia. I just came across your wonderful blog today. I too have been suffering from FM now for 10 years. I started a personal blog a few days ago to document my journey with this lonely diagnoses. It helps me to write about it. I am looking forward to following your blog and learning more about the fight I have with FM. Thank you kindly.

Comment from francine
Time February 5, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I am looking to raise money for this years National Fibromyalgia Awareness Day. I am not sure where to begin….any help would be appreciated. Ty for your page and for helping inform others of Fibro.

That sounds great! What/where are you hoping to donate the money towards?

Comment from margie sanders
Time May 9, 2013 at 11:57 am

thank you so much for talking about fibomyalgia i ordered the little purple pillow-so cute

Yay! I hope you love it as much as we do, Margie! I heard it’s getting shipped out to you tomorrow.

Comment from margie sanders
Time May 9, 2013 at 8:48 pm

so glad you talk about fibromyalgia,have had it fir years been rough;

It certainly isn’t easy, that’s for sure! Sending some hugs your way.

Comment from margie sanders
Time May 15, 2013 at 1:00 pm

love-love my little fibro pillow,it goes every where with me thank you so much].

Yay! I hope it brings you lots of joy!

Son Reply:

hi, Margie! Thank you for purchasing the Fibrofly! I’m glad to hear you love it. :D As the first person to order Fibrofly I’d love it if you could leave feedback of your purchase on my etsy site. Thank you, again!