Fibro Feelings – Wrapping up Christmas

What is Fibro Feelings?

As I sit here, just 4 days after Christmas, I cannot believe how quickly the last week has passed! In my living room I see a pile of wrapping paper that I have yet to figure out if it is recyclable or not, a small pile of opened gifts still remaining under the tree, and plastic tubs all around – waiting for me to finish putting the Christmas decor away. I’ve been doing everything in small steps, so lots of things have not been finished yet. I’m perfectly okay with that! My flare-up is getting better, so I’m not going to overdo it! My back is hurting the most, but I’m still noticing fatigue and some smaller, flare-up related pains.

I was very happy to have leftover turkey and sides lunches and dinners on Sunday and Monday. Even though I was not cooking on those days I was still doing dishes from Christmas dinner. For items that can’t go in the dishwasher, I only wash 1 dish drying rack full at a time. Once they are dry, I put them away and wash 1 more load. This process takes a little longer, but it is easier on my body. I rinse all the dishes the day they become dirty though, so they are easier to clean when I get to them.

Yesterday I managed to go with The Helpful Hubby and my parents to two museums, about an hour away. For a few laughs, we listed to Jon Stewart’s audio book, Earth (The Book): A Visitor’s Guide to the Human Race while traveling in the car. (FYI – It isn’t that easy to listen to in the car because of Stewart’s tendency to talk quieter while telling the punch line/joke.) We walked around one smaller museum for an hour, took a break for lunch, then walked around a history museum for three hours. It was a fun day with family. My feet had started hurting, but not too terribly. I was happily surprised that my back actually felt better as the day went on. It was hurting pretty badly when I had woken up. Using Sombra Natural Pain Relieving Gel helped me get through the pain while I was getting ready.

How have you been handling wrapping up Christmas?

While looking in a museum gift shop I found this awesome quote from Don Ward!

Comments

Comment from Pam
Time December 30, 2010 at 12:21 pm

So glad you made it through the museum tours. I will have to check out that gel. I have some prescription gel that my FIL gave me – Voltaren Gel. But it doesn’t do anything. Is yours prescription?

pam

@Pam – It is not prescription, I just buy it in spas. It is also available online though. It makes the area feel warm and tingly (similar to Icy Hot, but not so stinky!) It usually can take my pain from a “my pain is increasing and I’m not sure I can handle it (might need to take a pain killer) to a “back is hurting, but I can handle this.”

Comment from Maria Marz
Time December 30, 2010 at 5:32 pm

I have been getting by with Voltaren as well, but my helpful hubby promised to help me with putting away Xmas decor. We won’t take it down until January 6, though, so the stress of taking it down hasn’t really kicked in yet.

@Maria – I grew up in a home where we took down the decor right after Christmas, so it just feels weird for me to leave it up at my own house. I think waiting really makes it easier though – it gives your body a break between all the holiday fuss and the tear-down. Since my parents are visiting my mom helped me put some stuff away. This was nice because The Helpful Hubby does not like helping with holiday decor. He just appreciates the look of the decor when it is up! =)

Comment from Cristina Tomaschewsky
Time January 1, 2011 at 4:32 am

Hello, Felicia. I loved your blog. I also have fibro and a blog about it. Stop by to see if you like. I put the link to your blog on my blog, if you have any objection by favormr say. Sorry for the mistakes, I do not dominate the English and used the Google translator. Happy 2011 to you. Thank you. Hugs.

Happy New Year to you too, Cristina, and thanks for your kind words!

Comment from Amy K
Time January 1, 2011 at 11:19 am

Thank you for sharing Felicia! I have been really procrastinating in the taking down of Christmas. I normally want it down right away, but this year, most likely because I had two full days of being able to do nothing after Christmas, I am hesitant to dive in. I have not got my “groove” back, so to speak. It really is a big process and it’s okay to take it in baby steps. One thing living with fibromyalgia can really teach us… grace. Grace for ourselves and the grace to let go of expectations that so often run us ragged.
I had not heard of this gel, thanks for sharing it here. Have you ever heard of or used BIOFREEZE? I have not researched its use for fibromyalgia specifically, although I have used it before for pain in my back & neck.

@Amy – Isn’t it interesting how sometimes we can bounce back quickly after a few not-so-good days and other times it takes quite awhile? I feel like, for me, part of that equation is how much fatigue I was experiencing during the not-so-good days. I hope your baby/turtle steps help get your “groove” back soon. Life is more fun with our “groove,” don’t you think? I have used BioFreeze and Sombra Gel is its effect is actually very similar.

Comment from vickijane73
Time January 2, 2011 at 1:05 am

Oh how I wish I had the energy to leave some good advice :-( just wanted you 2 know, I really get a lot from your Twitter and blogs, thank-you for supporting & sharing. My wonderful man helps me a lot but its not the same as knowing someone else really does understand. Fibro hugs and luv from one spoonie 2 another.x

Thank you so much for your kind words, Vicki! It means a lot to know that I’m positively contributing to a fellow Spoonie’s life! I agree, there is something to sharing health related issues with people who have those same conditions. *hugs*